Monday 28 August 2023

End of Summer Goodbyes

 Hi! My name is Jadeyn, and I am a fourth year undergraduate student at The King’s University, majoring in Chemistry. As autumn approaches I am preparing to leave the Integrated Pest Management (IPM) program at the Beaverlodge Research Farm to return to my studies. 

Over the summer I have gained a broad range of knowledge and skills I can apply to my studies, future career, and agricultural understanding of the region I grew up in. Working in a lab environment and contributing to scientific projects has been a remarkable opportunity. I am excited to exercise in my schooling what I have learned about research, laboratory management, field work and data organization.

Figure 1. Processing flea beetle and diamondback moth sticky cards collected at commercial sites throughout the Peace River region as part of the 2023 Prairie Pest Monitoring project. 

 A highlight of my work experience was performing weekly field work and monitoring for insect pests in local canola fields for the Prairie Pest Monitoring Network. We collected flea beetle, diamondback moth, swede midge, and bertha armyworm traps at various sites, processed our findings, and recorded data. We also collected sweep-net samples in the field (biodiversity) and the ditch (grasshoppers). Sunny days spent collecting traps and sweep-net samples was a highly anticipated work day!




Figure 2a. A canola field monitored during the 2023 Annual Peace Canola Survey in Fort Vermillion, AB. b. A canola sweep-net sample being processed and organized into different taxonomic groups. 

Another highlight of my experience working in the Beaverlodge IPM lab was participating in the 2023 Annual Peace Canola Survey! Canola fields all across the northern Peace Region were monitored for Lygus beetles and cabbage seed pod weevils. We additionally surveyed grasshopper populations in ditches adjacent to these fields. I was able to travel to Fort Vermillion and collect samples from Northern Alberta. Between driving and collecting survey samples, I rode the La Crete ferry for the first time and got delicious strawberry butter horns at a La Crete bakery. After surveying, the IPM team returned to the lab to process the sweep-net samples. Samples were organized into petri dishes and identified to species to assess biodiversity and Lygus populations. 

My favourite aspect of working in the IPM lab is the variety of work. I got to try and learn new things I’ve never done before. The contrast of working outdoors, doing field work, and working indoors; processing samples and operating excel in the lab, offered diversity that kept my daily tasks engaging.

 Overall my student summer work experience was very positive, with interesting content, and welcoming staff. I am extremely grateful to have gained a new appreciation for entomology in the Peace River region and an opportunity to acquire hands-on experience in a scientific field that was previously unfamiliar. Lots of treats and activities over lunch break contributed to a fun summer at home!

-Jadeyn Lunn