Wednesday 9 February 2022

Welcome Tessa!

Hello! My name is Tessa Ferch and I am a new Co-Op Student with the University of Manitoba in the Insect Pest Management Program at the Beaverlodge Research Farm. I will be working in-person at the research farm from January to August 2022.

I am a fourth-year student at the University of Manitoba, where I am in the process of obtaining a Bachelor of Science. I'm pursuing a major in Evolution and Biodiversity, and a minor in Entomology. I have completed five different entomology courses as part of my studies that covered a wide range of topics including crop pests, animal pests, predators and parasites of pests, and pollinators.

Figure 1. Tessa enjoying the winter weather in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

As an undergraduate, I've been working to build my skills and experience. Prior to coming to Beaverlodge, I worked as a Co-Op Student with Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada at the Brandon Research and Development Centre. While at Brandon, I worked remotely and contributed towards building research background information related to agronomic studies focusing on crop rotations. Before that, I spent two summers working at Henteleff Park in Winnipeg, Manitoba where I was involved with maintaining the park. During this time, I witnessed a huge diversity of insects.  My work experiences, supported by my university education, have contributed to my fascination with different types of animals - especially insects. I am excited to join the IPM team!