Monday 31 August 2020

An Unconventional IPM Student Experience

Over the course of the summer, I encountered practical applications of many concepts introduced during my university biology classes. While working from home, I completed online courses, attended webinars, and engaged in numerous video calls to discuss blog posts and scientific papers. These opportunities enabled me to learn about species distribution, insect life cycles, symbiotic relationships, parasitism, genetic modification, and the evolution of insecticide resistance. After studying these topics, it was interesting to read about field research studies performed on farms far different from my own family’s in terms of size, location, and practices. For example, we discussed many studies performed in Europe where the field sizes are MUCH smaller than in Alberta. Though many crops and pests are similar between regions, I had to think critically about how applicable the results were to Canadian farms. Moreover, I learned to think more about insect sampling techniques and their applications in Alberta and other areas. I am eager to continue applying these new skills as I return to school this fall.

During weekly paper and blog discussions, the IPM team discussed economic thresholds and how they are applied to make control decisions. Prior to this, I had little knowledge on how farmers make chemical control decisions or how often insecticides are actually applied to fields. I thought insecticides were used more frequently but, in the Peace River region, natural enemies and weather conditions can help to regulate pest populations. Exploring biological and cultural pest management options has enlightened me to the reality of sustainable farming and the landscape-level practices required to maintain it.

I also learned a variety of pest monitoring techniques and how to apply economic thresholds in the field. I was lucky enough to monitor insects in two fields on my family’s farm, even with COVID-19 restrictions in place. I learned how to set traps in canola for flea beetles (Fig. 1a), diamondback moth (Fig. 1b), and bertha armyworm (Figure 1c), as well as how to use a sweep-net to scout for lygus bugs and cabbage seedpod weevil in the crop canopy. In field peas, I set up pitfall traps adjacent to the field to monitor pea leaf weevil. Managing only a few traps on my own has given me a greater appreciation of the massive amount of effort and materials required to conduct more complex and large-scale studies in entomology.

Figure 1. Traps set adjacent to a canola field near Sexsmith, AB on June 19, 2020, used to monitor flea beetles (a), diamondback moths (b), and bertha armyworm moths (c). Photos: M. Sears 2020.

Prior to this experience, I only knew of a few general insect groups (eg. grasshoppers, moths, aphids) that affected my family’s crops. Early in my term, I learned the characteristics that differentiate insect orders through the  “Bugs 101” course (offered through the University of Alberta). While monitoring, I was introduced to pest and beneficial species of arthropods in the Peace River region and the unexpected ecological niches they can occupy. For instance, I discovered flies are among the most important pollinators in agricultural ecosystems (Fig. 2). Finally, while creating scouting charts for oat, sunflower, and mustard, I encountered and began to recognize similarities in pest species across crop types. Now when I glance at an insect in a field, I have a good idea of the group to which it belongs and how it may affect the crop — or at least I now know where to find resources to help me identify it.

Figure 2. Fly species found on canola flowers growing in the field on July 2, 2020, near Sexsmith, AB. Photo: M. Sears 2020


Furthermore, I have come to better understand the tough control decisions farmers struggle to make on a regular basis and the impact management decisions can have on both pest and non-target insects in field crops.

- Maiya Sears

Thanks to Aarika Harpe, Shelby Dufton and J. Otani for reviewing this Post.

Read more about the 2020 students working in the IPM Program.