Thursday 7 May 2020

Meet our Students - Introducing Maiya!

Hello! My name is Maiya and I am a new student assistant in the IPM program at the Beaverlodge Research Farm. I will be working in the program for the next 4 months.

I am entering my third year of a Bachelor of Science at the University of Alberta, with a double major in Biological Sciences and Psychology. I am especially interested in ecology and evolutionary biology. I am eager to learn how these topics relate to the work of the IPM program.

Growing up on a grain farm, I developed a strong appreciation for agriculture and learned some basic information about crops in the Peace River region. I look forward to gaining further knowledge in this subject as I study the insects influencing crop growth and yield this summer.

Figure 1. Maiya scouting her family's field near Sexsmith AB.