Friday 14 February 2020

Meet our students - Introducing Isaac!

Hello, my name is Isaac and I am a new Co-op student in the IPM lab at the Beaverlodge Research Farm. I will be working at the farm for both the winter and summer terms!

I am currently in my third year at the University of Manitoba, where I am working towards a Bachelor of Science in Evolutionary Biology and Biodiversity, as well as a Bachelor of Arts in History. Weird combination, I know! I am excited to learn more about real-world applications of entomology and its relation to agriculture.

This week my fellow Co-op student Tia and I have been processing data from the previous field season. These data have mostly come in the form of pitfalls. We identify and sort out Elaterid (click), Carabid (ground), and Staphylinid (rove) beetles from the rest of the critters—like spiders, flies, and moths caught in the traps. We track the number of adults and larvae in each group, then place the beetles in vials filled with ethanol that will await further processing.


I am looking forward to learning more about insect pest management and lab work this winter. In the summer, I look forward to being able to go out in the field as well as getting to explore Alberta and British Columbia!