Wednesday 9 February 2022

Welcome Vicky!

Hello! My name is Vicky Tang. I am a Co-Op Student at the University of Manitoba currently working with the Insect Pest Management (IPM) lab at the Beaverlodge Research Farm this winter! This is my first work placement and I am anxious and excited to learn about the ins and outs of working in a lab. 

I am a 4th year student at the University of Manitoba pursuing a Bachelor of Science degree in Biological Sciences. I am pursuing a major in environmental and integrative physiology and a minor in entomology. My interest in environmental conservation opened my eyes to the importance of insects and their role in agriculture. 

Figure 1. Vicky picking tomatoes to send to the marketplace in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

I used to shiver at the thought of insects, but my first entomology course changed that fear into passionate interest! I am excited to help with processing, data entry, and data management resulting from the hard work that went into collecting samples in the crazy year that was 2021. I want to learn more about how this data is used to promote further study and benefit growers in the Peace River region.

I am looking forward to learning how to identify pest insects from this region and developing crucial lab skills.