Monday 31 August 2020

New appreciation for the buzz about pests

Spending my summer working in the IPM program based at the Beaverlodge Research Farm enlightened me - ecology truly is complex! Insect pest management is incredibly dynamic because new problems can appear quickly like the introduction of an invasive pest or development of pesticide resistance in insects. Growers are in a constant “tug of war” with field invaders and need to develop and utilize  tactics like new pest-resistant crop varieties and insecticides. I learned that growing crops isn’t as simple as watering and fertilizing a plant - it’s a struggle against nature itself. A bug on a leaf now represents a force of nature ready to adapt to continue the survival of its species.

During my work term, I gained more respect for growers. I was surprised to discover how many insect pests within the Canadian prairies are invasive species. While I studied invasive species in courses, I gained a better sense of how the environment affects them and the scope and scale of their impact on Canadian agriculture. Examples of invasive agricultural pests in Alberta, Saskatchewan, and Manitoba include the Diamondback moth, Cereal leaf beetle and Pea leaf weevil. It was both terrifying and spectacular to see the destructive capabilities of these pests. 

Figure 1. Snout moth (Pyralis sp.) perched indoors on a mirror calling for a mate. 
(Photo: D. Bosnich taken near Kanata, Ontario)

Throughout the term I learned about specific insect pests and read scientific literature in order to share presentations with my coworkers. This required extensive research on each topic and I had to conquer my relative shyness for public speaking. After the initial few “ums” and “ahs” in my first presentations, the weekly Google Hangout and Zoom meetings with the IPM team allowed me to improve both my research skills and my confidence. 

Figure 2. A compost fly (Ptecticus sp.) observed in yard near Kanata, Ontario.
(Photo: D. Bosnich)

Throughout the work term, my coworkers and I received training using various remote technologies to complete our weekly tasks. As one who struggles to work a microwave at times, these training opportunities improved both my familiarity with multiple videoconferencing platforms and forced me to become more adept with technology. For example, one weekly tasks was photographing insects in situ. By learning and practicing how to use the camera on my phone, I manipulated my camera’s focus with different angles, filters, and touch commands. I even discovered new camera settings on my phone! 

Figure 3. Sweat bee (Halictus sp.) covered in trillium pollen near Kanata, Ontario.
(Photo: D. Bosnich)

Overall, working in the IPM program at the Beaverlodge Research Farm has transformed the way I view the environment and the organisms within it. Additionally, the experience has helped develop my public speaking as well as forced me to improve my technological understanding. As my work term ends, I feel privileged to have the opportunity to work with many incredibly kind and intelligent individuals and I look forward to directing the experience towards expanding my knowledge of biology!

- Donovan Bosnich

Thanks to Aarika Harpe, Amanda Jorgensen and Jennifer Otani for reviewing this Post.

Read more about the Students working in the IPM Program from May-August 2020.